The Grid control for ASP.NET is an efficient display engine for tabular data. It will pull from a datasource, such as ListCollection, OData web services, or SQLData, binding data fields to columns and displaying a column header to identify the field. It is a feature-rich control that provides extensive appearance customization options with support for grouped records. This Grid is very useful for generating complex grid-based reports with rich formatting. The most important features available in the Grid control for ASP.NET are paging, sorting, filtering, searching, grouping, and editing.
Some important features of the Grid control for ASP.NET are:
- Data sources—Bind the Grid control with list collection or SQL data or any other data.
- Sorting and grouping—Supports n levels of sorting and grouping.
- Filtering—Offers Excel-like filtering for filter data.
- Editing—Offers two editing modes for inserting, editing, and deleting records in a grid.
- Paging—Provides the option to easily switch between pages using the pager bar.
- Reordering—Allows you to drag any column and drop it at any position in the grid, allowing columns to be repositioned at the required place.
- Resize columns—Grid provides option for resizing the columns.
- Summary support—Offers options for specifying summary rows and columns.
- Detail template—Offers to render the detail row for the corresponding expanded master row.
- Unbound columns—Offers the option to specify unbound columns.
- RTL support—Provides a full-fledged right-to-left mode which aligns content in the Grid control from right to left.
- Localization—Provides inherent support to localize the UI.