Connecting Bold BI to GitHub data source
Bold BI dashboard designer supports connecting GitHub web services through REST API.
Choose GitHub data source
To configure the GitHub data source, follow the below steps:
Click the Data Sources button in the configuration panel to add a new data connection.
- Click CREATE NEW to launch a new connection from the connection panel.
Select the GitHub connection in the connection panel.
You can also create a data source from the home page by clicking the Data Sources menu from left menu panel and Create Data Source from the data sources page.
Create GitHub data source
Once you click the data source, the NEW DATA SOURCE configuration panel opens. Follow the below steps to create GitHub data source.
- Enter a name and description (optional) for the data source.
Enter a valid GitHub REST API endpoint in the URL textbox. Refer the GitHub API documentation for more details.
- Select GET method for the REST API in Method combo box.
- In Max Rows, enter the maximum number of rows to be fetched from the GitHub data source. This value is used to fetch the data from GitHub data source via pagination.
- Choose a time interval for Refresh Settings using the combo box, to trigger the Rest API request periodically to keep the data in sync with our dashboard.
- Select JSON data type in Data Format combo box.
- Choose Basic HTTP Authentication in Authentication Type combo box.
- Enter a valid User Name and Password to access the endpoint in your account.
You can also edit the connection information set here using the Edit Connection option.
|Max Rows||Most of the REST APIs return only fewer data on a single API request. To pull the amount of data you need, set a value in this field. Pagination is handled internally and will fetch the amount of data you need.|
|Refresh Settings||Period of time before next refresh call is triggered. This will automatically trigger a call for the API configured in the data source to keep the data up to date. If you do not want to sync your new data, choose ‘Never’.|
Preview and data import
- Click Preview & Connect to connect with the configurations set.
The Choose Schema(s) dialog opens. The schema represents the key fields of JSON data retrieved from GitHub Rest API request. This dialog displays a list of schemas in treeview and its corresponding values in grid for preview. Select required schema(s) from treeview to use in designer and click Connect.
Now, the data design view page with selected table schema opens. Drag and drop the table.
- Click Save to save the data source with a relevant name.
Data Transformation - https://help.syncfusion.com/bold-bi/visualize-data/joining-table
Editing a Data Connection - https://help.syncfusion.com/bold-bi/editing-a-data-connection
Dashboard Designer Walk Through - https://help.syncfusion.com/bold-bi/dashboard-designer-walk-through
GitHub Integration - https://www.boldbi.com/integrations/github